Friday, April 16, 2010

The Desiderata

my great uncle don, wise and all-knowing, sent me and my lissa this poem my sophomore year at school. he told me to print it, put it next to my bed and read it every day. it is in fact taped to my wall beside my bed and i try my best to read it everyday. it is indeed the source of the blog's title. the past year has been full of ups and downs and i can not think of anything that guides me more both in tumultuous and joyous times. this is the excerpt from don. print it. set it next to the bed. read it every day.


You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.


in the noisy confusion of life. keep peace with your soul.

keep peace with your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment